First impressions, various studies have said are made early, sometimes in as little as a minute. And a negative impression can be hard to change. A good first impression will carry you through the interview process.
Here are 6 easy tips to make a good impression:
- Look good – dress professional and appropriate for the job. Go light on cologne or perfume. Your appearance is an easy way to make a good first impression.
- Be on Time – arrive 10-15 minutes before your interview. Being late gives the impression that you’re unreliable and not organized.
- Smile – first things first, look happy to be there (even if you’re nervous). It’s a positive first step. And don’t forget to smile during the interview.
- A good handshake – a firm handshake still matters and is a way to show confidence. Practice, if yours is a bit wimpy or too strong.
- Eye contact – having good eye contact lets them know that you’re paying attention, showing you’re comfortable and sincere.
- Be prepared – know the company from your research, reread the job description and prep yourself for the potential questions you might be asked.
Making a good first impression is the first step. Starting out confident will help you through the interview process.