We all find it hard to stay focused at work. Co-worker interruptions, phone calls, texts, emails and the next minute you know you’ve lost focus and your work is not getting your done. You need a plan to stay on track. Try these easy tips and get more done.
8 Tips to Stay Focused:
- Get Started – The simple act of getting started and beginning a task is the first step to focus.
- Set Clear Goals and Create a “To Do” list – List the 4-5 top priorities you need to accomplish for the day – add any action that needs to get done. Note: Pick your number one task and do it first.
- Work in Time Blocks – Working in 50 minute blocks can boost your production and focus. Using your To Do list, decide which task will be done in each block.
- Turn Off Distractions – Stop notifications for email and social media apps. Your phone can be a distraction, so for optimal focus time, consider muting it or putting in your drawer or somewhere out of sight. I know it’s scary to be cut off for a while but the results will be worth it.
- Limit Email Time – Check email every 2-3 hours instead of every few minutes. This small act will save you time and making focusing on your work easier.
- Stop Multi-tasking – Our brains were not made to multi-task. We actually get less done. Complete one task, project or assignment and then move onto the next one.
- Deadlines – They force you to focus on getting the task done and stops you from procrastinating.
- Take a Break – Down time makes you more effective. Take breaks in between tasks and time blocks. Walk around, stretch, chat over a cup of tea or coffee whatever and then get back to it. The break will help you recharge.
Being more focused helps you complete more and improves your job satisfaction. But it takes practice. Create a system that works for you and get started.