A well written cover letter can help you stand out from all the other candidates. When it’s done correctly, a cover letter highlights your skills and experience and shows why you’re the right person to meet and interview for the job.
Using a cover letter is a good way to distinguish yourself and get the hiring authority’s attention while showing them why you are qualified for the position.
Cover letter tips to make yours stand out:
- Must be well written – Edit your words to make your letter top notch. Be sure there are no typos, spelling or grammatical errors and that it’s formatted correctly. And don’t forget to proofread.
- Not too long – one page, a few well composed paragraphs that gets to the point.
- Remember its goal – the reason why – why you are qualified for the job. Use it to sell you and your relevant skills. Be specific and concise.
- Don’t duplicate your resume – it should focus on the skills and knowledge that match the position and complements your resume
- Be specific to the job and company – Review the job description and use that to help you target your letter and customize it to the position Tip: use their keywords when you can.
- It’s your career / business narrative so make it interesting
How to format a cover letter:
- Heading/Greeting – Date, Your contact information, Name and address of the hiring authority or recruiter if you have it and Salutation. Note: When you can’t find a name – Dear Human Resources or Dear Hiring Manager is better than “To Whom it May Concern”.
- Opening introduction paragraph – what job you’re applying to and a short overview your skills and your skills can help them. Remember to be upbeat.
- Skills – In this paragraph highlight why you are a match. Sell yourself with a solid summary of your background and experience. Use examples to show them what you can offer.
- Solid closing argument – final few sentences reviewing your strengths and why they should interview you. Thank them for their time and consideration.
- Ending – Sincerely yours.
A well-crafted cover letter can help get you an interview then you have to be ready and prepared to sell your skills and background to the employer.
Take a look at our JOB LISTINGS.