You got a job offer! You’re thrilled; this job could be a great step in your career. What’s your next move? And how do you accept a job offer the right way?
Here are steps to accept your job offer with class:
- Be grateful and thank them for the opportunity to join their team.
- Don’t say yes right away. It’s important to take some time to consider the terms offered before you accept
- Ask when they want your decision. If you need more time than they suggest, don’t be afraid to ask for a few more days.
- Ask for the offer in writing. Most practices and hospitals have either a contract or some type of offer letter. Review the terms to be sure the information on salary, start date, benefits, etc. are the same as what you were told. When you receive the official offer (normally via email), be sure you acknowledge that you received it and will review it.
- Ask questions before you accept, you want to be clear on the details.
- Negotiation – if the offer isn’t everything you want, it’s time to negotiate for terms that you would prefer. Asking isn’t a definite but not asking gets you nowhere. Salary and vacation time are the two things most requested. CME time off and costs as well. Be sure you ask, do some research and base your request on data and not just a whim. Be flexible and fair in your negotiations and most important professional. It’s not personal; it’s business. If your salary or other terms change, request a revised letter or contract. Review the entire new document.
- Finally, it’s time to say yes to the job – thank them again and express your excitement about taking the position. Ask about credentialing and other paperwork they’ll require. And be sure to return your completed documents in a timely manner.
Congratulations on a new job and starting it right.
View our current openings here: Open Positions